Your Johnston Chamber of Commerce is working diligently to serve our community in a positive and encouraging way.
With the onset of the COVID-19 health challenges, we will be updating this page on a daily basis to best serve our Community.
Please watch for more information coming from the Chamber with regards to our upcoming events. Our office is open by appointment only at this time. Please email us with questions! firstname.lastname@example.org
Scroll down this list and find great resources and links to help your business or organization.
Financial Assistance Information
- Coronavirus Emergency Loans – Small Business Guide and Checklist
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has issued this guide to help small businesses and self-employed individuals prepare to file for a loan.
- U.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Assistance
The U.S. Small Business Administration is offering designated states low-interest federal disaster loans for working capital to small businesses suffering substantial economic injury as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. These loans may be used to pay fixed debts, payroll, accounts payable and other bills that can’t be paid because of the disaster’s impact.
- Iowa Financial Assistance Programs
How to obtain assistance, financial aid, and cash grants for eligible cities and counties in Iowa from a variety of state-sponsored programs. Includes information for programs providing government assistance and non-profit grants to help pay rent or energy bills or coordinate-free health care and information on cash assistance programs for low-income families, free medical or dental care, and other support.
- Targeted Small Business Sole Operator Fund – Due by April 10th
A fund has been created to support Targeted Small Businesses (TSB) with zero employees that have been economically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The program offers eligible small businesses grants up to $10,000 to businesses that are single owners with no employees that are also TSB certified, or have an application submitted to the Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) by April 10, 2020, to become TSB certified.
- Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)
The Paycheck Protection Program is designed to provide a direct incentive for small businesses to keep their workers on payroll by providing each small business a loan up to $10 million for payroll and certain other expenses. Applications for the Paycheck Protection Program can be filed at any lending institution that is approved to participate in the program through the existing U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) 7(a) lending program and additional lenders approved by the Department of Treasury. Find local SBA assistance.
- Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL)
Changes have been made to the existing EIDL program administered by the SBA. Loans can now be made based solely on credit scores. Loans are now available to all non-profits, including 501(c)(6) organizations. Loans below $200,000 can be approved without a personal guarantee. Borrowers can receive $10,000 cash advances that are forgiven if spent on paid leave, maintaining payroll, increased costs due to supply chain destruction, mortgage or lease payments, or repaying obligations that cannot be met due to revenue losses. There is no obligation to repay the grant. To receive the $10,000 emergency grant, it is not necessary to have an approved EIDL loan. However, if you are able to secure a PPP loan, the $10,000 grant will be subtracted from the forgiveness amount.
- UPDATE: April 6, 2020 – SBA announced it is implementing a $1000 per employee on the advance, up to a maximum of $10,000. So, a business with three employees, for example, would be eligible to receive only $3,000 up front, as opposed to the originally stated $10,000. To check the status of your loan application call 800-659-2955 or email email@example.com.
- Home Loans or Sole Proprietor Loans through the SBA
Applicants who operate under a sole proprietorship, with or without employees, or as an independent contractor are also eligible for this loan. Homeowners and renters must register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to obtain a FEMA Registration ID Number by calling 1-800-621-3362 prior to applying for an SBA loan. Find more information about application requirements.
- Employee Retention Tax Credit
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act created a new employee retention tax credit for employers who are closed, partially closed, or experiencing significant revenue losses as a result of COVID-19. Employers who receive a Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan are not eligible for a tax credit. Find out more information about the tax credits.
General Information and Toolkits
- Greater Des Moines Partnership Planning and Preparedness
The Greater Des Moines Partnership has compiled a list of advice and resources to help businesses prepare for the impact of COVID-19. Including information about mitigation and recovery, employment resources, virtual events and webinars listings, government and public policy information, and illness prevention. In addition, the Partnership sought feedback via a survey from local businesses to determine how they are affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and what they can do to help. Find the full survey results.
- Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives Crisis Management
Chambers and businesses need to prepare for the impacts of COVID-19 transmission in the United States. Learn more about implementing a series of actions that minimize the impact on local communities and support the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) containment strategy. Includes pandemic guidance, crisis communication templates, and other pandemic related resources.
- US Chamber of Commerce Foundation Resources
This page contains links to resources on business resilience and disaster recovery. Including business response examples, information about webinars and events, workplace resources, resources for educators and parents, and guides explaining a variety of relief resources including the stimulus package.
Employer and Employee Information
- Employer Unemployment Insurance benefits during COVID-19 webinar
A webinar from Iowa Workforce Development specifically for employers explaining how to navigate unemployment insurance benefits during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- How to file Unemployment if you are self employed
- DOL.COVID-19 Fair Labor Standards Act Questions and Answers
A FAQ guide provided by the U.S. Department of Labor covering the impact of COVID-19 on the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Leave Policy for Employees Impacted by COVID-19 Layoffs
Iowa Workforce Development has implemented updates to its leave policy for filing unemployment insurance benefits following the enactment of the CARES Act. Effective immediately, employees who are or will be laid off, or are unable to work for reasons related to COVID-19, will no longer be required to use all paid leave prior to being eligible for unemployment insurance benefits. Find the IWD COVID-19 Information Page for more information.
Public Health Updates
Helping Business & Schools to Stay Connected
Grow with Google
Free training, tools, and resources to help you grow your skills, career, or business.
Services Provided: Video Conferencing | Audio/Phone | Instant Messaging | Information Storage/Sharing | Project Management | Security/Encryption
*In response to COVID-19 through July 1: free access to our advanced Hangouts Meet video-conferencing capabilities to all G Suite and G Suite for Education customers globally including larger meetings, for up to 250 participants per call, live streaming for up to 100,000 viewers within a domain, and the ability to record meetings and save them to Google Drive
Services Provided: Video Conferencing | Instant Messaging | Information Storage/Sharing | Project Management | Security/Encryption
*In response to COVID-19: Beginning March 10, Microsoft is rolling out updates to the free version of Teams that will lift restrictions on user limits.
Services Provided: Video Conferencing | Web Conferencing/Webinar | Security/Encryption
In response to COVID-19: free for educators to move toward virtual learning
Johnston Restaurants Offering Drive-Thru, Take Out & Dine-In:
- Brickhouse Cafe | Wednesday – Sunday 10:00am – 2:00pm | 515-276-4940
- Cyd’s Catering To GO |Cyds Catering TOGO Menu | 515-208-2091
- Greenbriar | Monday – Saturday 4:00pm – 7:00pm| 515-253-0124
- Health House | 515-410-9699
- Jethro’s BBQ | 515-421-4848
- McDonald’s | 515-331-0250
- Scooter’s Coffee | Drive-Thru | 515-631-5155
- ShortE’s BBQ | Take Out Only | 515-252-9887
- Sonic | Drive-Thru | 515-334-7309
- Texas Roadhouse | 515-251-4597
- WineStyles | Retail Sales Only | 515-334-9463
Johnston Churches Offering Virtual/Online Services:
- First Baptist Church | Live Stream Services Every Sunday 10AM | 515-243-8161
- NorthPoint Church | Live Stream Services Every Sunday 9AM & 10:35AM | 515-986-0306
- St Paul Presbyterian Church | Live Stream on Facebook Page | 515-276-2818